http://www.humana-one.com/secured/AgentLandingPage.aspx?sanid=1316193"ekey=

Saturday, February 05, 2005

Jesus or Ozzy?

I am finally getting to this, and as I sit here I don't know what I will write. I am trusting that the Holy Spirit will give me the words. I find it hard to believe that bands that glorify satan and curse the name of Christ would drive a wedge between a "Christian" family. However, sadly, that is what has happened.
This has been brewing for a while, but I will start back in July, 2004. My wife, myself and our son were over at my Mother's house for a family get-together. My brother, brought to our attention that our sister had allowed her son to attend Ozzfest. We did not even know this blasphemous concert was in town. My brother then went on to bring up the web site to Ozzfest. He showed us all of the blasphemous and satanic bands that were performing. He showed us the t-shirts that bore Ozzy's image on a cross. It grieved us. We were discussing the implications of allowing your child to attend such an event. We were talking about professing Christians lending support to these events that mock Christianity.
Well, my Mother stormed into the computer room and started to let us have it. She screamed at my wife and myself that we should not say anything and just pray for them (it was funny, but she did not direct any verbal assaults at my brother, although he initiated the conversation). We tried to explain to her that we needed to do more than just pray, we need to talk to them about this. How could professing Christians support such filth? Well, my Mother let off with a verbal attack that would not end. She was defending them, but attacking us. We decided that we just needed to leave. As we were attempting to depart, she followed us while continuing to thrust her finger at us while vocalizing her disdain at the top of her lungs. We left.
Well, about a month later, we saw my Mother. She took us out to dinner and apologized. She admitted that what she did was wrong. She admitted that my sister and nephew needed to be held accountable.
Well, it was soon Thanksgiving. The family was at my Mother's home, including my sister and nephew. Now we noticed things were a little different. First off, my nephew was dressed all in black, including black fingernails. My sister did not acknowledge us, not even our 20-month old son.
After dinner, we gathered in the living room for my nephew (brother's son) to open his Birthday presents (it was his Birthday as well as Thanksgiving). My sister gave him the gift from her. He opened it with my sister urging him to hold it up. He looked disgusted. He held up a Metallica t-shirt. My sister's son was screaming how great it was while my sister was gawking over her great gift. However, the recipient of the shirt did not like it. My sister's son was telling him he'd better like it because Metallica is "sweet". Keep in mind that all the players in this drama confess to be Christians.
I felt the leading of the Holy Spirit to not let this opportunity pass. I started to ask my nephews if they understood what Metallica stood for. Mockingly they assured me they did. I asked how they could extol the virtues of bands that mock the One they confess to serve. Again, I was mocked and told that Ozzfest was the best time of my nephew's life. I was near tears trying to reach them when out of nowhere my brother stormed up to me with his fist raised and using every four-letter word there is. He claimed he had been, "Waiting to go off on me for a long time". He then took a few swings at me all the while screaming that it was, "Only a shirt"! Now keep in mind that this is the same "Christian" brother that alerted us to my nephew attending Ozzfest in July.
Now, to make things worse, my Mother stormed up standing next to my brother screaming, "You don't do it like that"! Also keep in mind that she did not even hear my conversation with my nephews. She also screamed that I tried to hit her in July. Now this was a shock to myself and to my wife. I never tried to hit her. In fact, I was denouncing bands that promote violence. By this time the entire household was cussing up a storm at my wife and myself. My "Christian" brother continued to threaten me and proclaimed that he was going to, "Rule in hell".
I went up to my nephew and gave him tearful hug. I let him know that I loved him and wanted him to live forever with Christ.
My wife and I never yelled. We never made a personal attack on anyone. But we were attacked both verbally and physically. We made our way out of the house once again. My wife is pregnant and with the atmosphere in that house, it was no longer safe to keep her there. Also, we did not need our child hearing that language.
Shortly after, we started to receive emails from my sister and mother attempting to defend their actions. They denied things that took place. Now the only problem with that is that first of all, God knows what happened. Secondly, the event was captured on video. Once they found that out, their story changed. Then is was all about justifying their actions.
We attempted to reason with them by using Scripture, but they do not want to be confused with what God has to say. They actually quote things that are not even in the Bible. They use wisdom they received from a song or on Oprah.
Their argument is that we should not "Judge" others. Of course while they are arguing this, they are judging us.
My sister says that we should, "Point out sin, but not Judge". First off, all we were doing was bringing to their attention that they simply cannot serve God and shell out money to those that will use it to further their anti-Christian rhetoric. Also, how can you truly have the Holy Spirit dwelling within you and not be grieved by what you are hearing and viewing? It is sad, but a true convert of the faith should not need anyone to tell them that.
Below are just a few of the Scriptures I have shared with them.
1 John 1
5This is the message we have heard from Him and declare to you: God is light; in Him there is no darkness at all. 6If we claim to have fellowship with Him yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not live by the truth.
Jude 1
4For certain men whose condemnation was written about long ago have secretly slipped in among you. They are godless men, who change the grace of our God into a license for immorality and deny Jesus Christ our only Sovereign and Lord.
1 John 2
4The man who says, "I know him," but does not do what he commands is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
Romans 13
11And do this, understanding the present time. The hour has come for you to wake up from your slumber, because our salvation is nearer now than when we first believed. 12The night is nearly over; the day is almost here. So let us put aside the deeds of darkness and put on the armor of light. 13Let us behave decently, as in the daytime, not in orgies and drunkenness, not in sexual immorality and debauchery, not in dissension and jealousy. 14Rather, clothe yourselves with the Lord Jesus Christ, and do not think about how to gratify the desires of the sinful nature.
Ezekiel 33
8 When I say to the wicked, 'O wicked man, you will surely die,' and you do not speak out to dissuade him from his ways, that wicked man will die for his sin, and I will hold you accountable for his blood. 9 But if you do warn the wicked man to turn from his ways and he does not do so, he will die for his sin, but you will have saved yourself.
Matthew 15
8" 'These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. 9They worship me in vain, their teachings are but rules taught by men.'
I could go on, but I will address this matter more fully in additional posts. This sadly shows that there are many that claim to be Christian, but when they are asked to give up something, even something that stands in utter contrast the their beliefs, they choose the wide gate. Please check out these sites for more insight:
http://amawiggins.blogspot.com/
http://walkingcircumspectly.blogspot.com/
http://thereformation.blogspot.com/
http://bloggingteen.blogspot.com/
http://www.wayofthemaster.com/
http://www.myfortress.org/
I will end with these words of comfort from our Lord:
Matthew 5:10-12
10Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
11Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. 12Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.


6 comments:

Kristen said...

Amen!! You said it. I am sorry that you had to go through that with your family, but at the same time I rejoice in your (and your wife's) conduct. May God bless you and empower you both by His Spirit to continue for Him.

Kristen said...

Hey--one more thing--I encourage you to blog more often, if you have time. We need voices like yours out there. :)

Amy said...

I had to hop over here to see the man behind the comments on my post today, and I'm glad to see I'm not alone!

Grace and peace be yours in fullest measure,
Amy

Chris P. said...

Hey!!
Thanks for recommending my blog. Let me ebcourage you and your wonderful wife to keep posting. More are rising up and joining the real "reformation"
Soli deo Gloria!!!!

Anonymous said...

I stumbled across this story a few moments ago and couldn't help but comment on it. I respect your beliefs and actually share your faith, but I disagree whole heartedly with what you preach. You claim to not judge your family yet give a one sided account of their actions for all the world to see on the internet. You also went out of your way to point out your nephew's appearence which has absolutely no bearing on his views about faith. I also question the so called knowledge you have of Metallica and the other bands that have played Ozzfest. If all you know is lyrical quotes taken out of context or song titles used in christian websites then you actually know nothing about what they represent. Furthermore, I believe it is certainly possible to be both a person of faith and a fan of heavy metal. The type of music you listen to does not define you as a person. However, your actions do. Your family may have been wrong in the way they reacted, but why is it your place to impose your views on them? The beauty of living in this country is that we are all free to read, watch, listen to, or say whatever we want. What gives you the right to decide what is best for others? If your nephew can listen to heavy metal bands and still remain a caring, honest, and pleasent person than it should not be an issue for you and you should accept him for who he is.

I encourage you to respond to this in a civil manner because I am genuinely interested in what you have to say.

Humble_Servant said...

Josh, thank you for your comments. Since my response will be fairly lengthy, I will address you in a new post.